Mindfulness and Mental Health
A helpful technique to improve and maintain mental wellbeing is to practice mindfulness. This means you become more aware of what you are thinking and feeling. You are also more aware of what is going on around you and your environment. The important thing about mindfulness is that even though you may have some negative thoughts or feelings, you embrace them without judging yourself.
Research has discovered that when utilizing mindfulness on a regular basis, it actually changes the brain. These positive changes help you to function better with day to day activities. To reap the benefits though, you have to practice mindfulness consistently. Mindfulness can also help those from all walks of life, young and old as well as in different situations, at work or school.
Benefits of Mindfulness:
- There is a decrease in stress levels and improved methods of coping with stress.
- Improved mental and emotional functioning
- You should feel more in control of your emotions.
- Helps to improve depression and anxiety
- May help to control certain behaviours, such as drinking. Helping with reducing the chances of problem drinking.
- In cases at work, increased productivity and the ability to manage stress better. Reducing the risk of burnout in employees.
- Helping to reduce feelings of anger and aggression
- Mindfulness can also help with improving social skills
- Improving focus, therefore helping students improve academically. Also, at work for improved concentration.
- Practising mindfulness can help to improve sleep patterns
- Helping those who suffer from chronic pain, to manage it better
- May even help you reach your weight-loss goals
As you can see, there are loads of benefits when it comes to using mindfulness. To reap these benefits, it is important to follow a regular routine of mindfulness techniques. This doesn’t mean you have to spend two hours every day on this, 10-minutes each day is enough to see results.
Prevention is better than cure
When it comes to any form of illness whether it is physical or mental, it is always best to treat it as soon as possible. Prevention is even better and taking a proactive stance when it comes to your health is the best way to go. By taking care of yourself with a good diet, exercise and check-ups, you are increasing your chances of living a happy and well-balanced life.
Many see a mental health issue as something you must simply get over, but inevitably the problem only gets worse. Your mental health is important, so if you want to live a healthy and balanced life, you need to take steps if you think you are suffering from a mental health problem.
Mental versus Emotional Health
You most probably know the saying, ‘the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.’ This is true for our bodies as well; our minds and bodies cannot function properly without each other. If something is wrong with one, it will affect the other. We go to the doctor for check-ups, in order to keep our bodies healthy, so why don’t we do this for our mental health as well?
Think of it as a mental health check-up, you can only reap positive benefits. Improve your relationships and the way you think about yourself; the list can go on.
There are some myths out there concerning mental health disorders. Some believe it is a weakness and this just isn’t true, it is a medical disorder that requires treatment and you shouldn’t be ashamed to seek out help.
Maybe you think therapy is a waste of time? You need to consider therapy as a tool that will help you to cope with your problems, something that can improve your everyday life. Battling mental health alone will only lead to it growing and getting worse.
Treatment and Support
You don’t have to battle with mental health alone, there is help. Treatment and support are available where you can begin your journey to wellness. Simply visit the ZwavelStream Clinic and you will get the best medical advice you need.