Steps to staying mentally healthy
All over the world, people experience different problems, but all have the same effects on mental health. Common health issues in South Africa, for instance, include HIV/Aids, TB, and diabetes amongst others. These take a toll on your physical body, but also emotionally and mentally.
What can you do to improve mental wellbeing no matter the circumstances?
- Develop a support group, surround yourself with family and friends that are willing to help you. Support groups are also a great help.
- Each day, find and do something that you enjoy, something that makes you laugh and feel good. Something as simple as playing dress-up with your kids or going to the park and playing ball with your dog.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help from somebody you trust, be it a family member, friend, co-worker or teacher.
- It’s important to have a healthy diet and to exercise, look after yourself. Make sure to avoid excessive use of alcohol and avoid drugs.
- Make sure you get enough rest and sleep. Turn off your computer and other devices a few minutes before you go to bed, the blue light that comes off these devices are not good for your eyes. Follow a bedtime routine every night and if you find that you cannot sleep, get up and read a book for a few minutes and then try again.
- Don’t let stress rule your life, find out what your stressors are and try to manage them more effectively. Think about trying out a yoga class or getting out in nature.
- Be in the moment, try to not focus too much on the past and what you need to be doing tomorrow or next week.
- Take on something new, try joining an art class or go mountain climbing, depending on what you enjoy. Learning new things is a great way to improve mental wellbeing.
- Give something back to the community you live in, volunteer at an animal shelter or simply help your neighbour by cutting their grass for them.