In-Patient Psychiatric Treatment
What You Need To KnowCommencing your stay at our Psychiatric Unit involves a process of two parts: Pre-admission/Pre-authorization and Admission.
The Clinic has a 24-hour Emergency Admissions intake, but being a specialist‘s clinic a referral for admission is necessary. For admission please note:
ZwavelStream Clinic accepts voluntary patients referred by their treating psychiatrist as well as from other health professional referrals such as from a general practitioner (GP) or a hospital’s emergency department (ER).
In the case of an emergency admission, please contact the clinic as soon as possible so that we can assist as far as possible. There are a psychiatrist as well as a psychologist on call 24h for emergencies.
The clinic’s case manager will assist the patient with obtaining the necessary authorization.
In the case of an after hour emergency admission, a refundable deposit will be required for the interim period until authorization has been obtained. Again the clinic’s case manager will assist the patient with this process as soon as possible within office hours.
Pre-admission is clinic’s way of ensuring that all prospective patients are adequately prepared and that all the relevant documentation necessary for their stay, are completed. Once a patient with a medical aid has been referred to be admitted at the clinic, a pre-authorization number must be obtained.
The patient, or main member, needs to contact their medical aid to obtain the necessary authorization and to verify that there benefits available for the admittance.This ensures that on the day of your admission, everything will be in order and that your intake will be fast efficient and less stressful.
For Efficient Pre–Authorization, your Medical Aid will require the following:
- Name and Practice Number of Patient’s Doctor
- Medical Aid Details, Patient Name, Dependent Code, DOB
- The Clinic’s Name: ZwavelStream Clinic and Practice Number | 0719048
- Date of Admission
- Referral Details a.) ICD10 Code | describes diagnosis b.) RPL Code | describes procedure
Fees & Medical Aids
- ZwavelStream Clinic’s fees are in accordance with NHN contracted tariffs.
- It is in the Patient’s best interest to be properly informed about their cover before admittance. Please familiarise yourself with your medical aid’s/scheme's benefits, available funds or the length of stay your medical aid will fund before admission.
Your Medical Aid will be able to inform you:
- What Benefits you have available and whether the service is covered
- What co-payment, if any, is required. Currently we are not a designated service provider - all levies & co-payments up to 20% are forfeited
- Provide you with an Authorization Number
- Our Case Managers constantly liaise with Medical Aids regarding benefits available, extensions in the Patient’s care, etc. Enquiries can be directed to them during the Patient’s stay with the Clinic
- Patients are reminded that the account remains their responsibility.
Important Points to Remember for Medical Aid Patients:
- Accommodation / Hospital Stay and Clinical Costs is covered by most Medical Aids for a period of 21 days per year
- The Patient is responsible for any amounts not settled by their Medical Aid
- ZwavelStream Clinic accounts include Ward Fees, Medication & Ward Stock only
- Accommodation Fees are charged according to negotiated rates between NHN and the Patient’s Medical Aid Scheme.
- Medication is charged per item and is part of the Hospital Bill
- There are free Psychiatry-related Group Therapy Sessions in place
- Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapy & Social Workers charge separately for their services (Groups & Individual) as per the Medical Aid Fund Tariff and their account is not part of the Clinic’s bill.
- Some Medical Aids exclude Therapies that are not Psychiatry-related | e.g. Physiotherapy
- Blood Tests are charged separately by the Pathologist
- Sleep Studies and holster ECG’s do not form part of the Hospital Bill are charged separately
- All Medical Procedures that the Psychiatrist refers the Patient to undergo, e.g. MRI’s, X-rays, etc. are not covered under “Psychiatry-related”. This will be paid as per the Patient’s specific option (plan) of his / her Medical Aid Scheme
- When discharged, Patients must be sure to leave the hospital before 12h00
- Should Patients have any queries, contact your Medical Aid directly
- ZwavelStream’s Case Managers & Admin Staff are available for assistance during Office Hours, Monday to Friday.
Patients without a Medical Aid or who wants to fund their Treatment themselves, will be given an estimate Tariff Fee. Please contact the hospital for fee information and estimations. A deposit covering the estimated cost of the service for 10 days is required on admission.
If the actual costs or length of stay exceeds the estimate, you or your Guarantor will be required to make additional payment. If your estimate exceeds the final account, you or your Guarantor will be refunded the balance. Payment of any co-payments preferably paid by EFT or Debit / Credit Card.
Admission Time & Process
To finalize your Booking, please contact our Admin Staff and provide us with the authorization number: email@example.com / 010 475 0150 / 066 2558 501. (Medical Aids usually send Confirmation via Email / SMS, please mail or bring us a copy of your Confirmation.)
Admissions usually occur on Sunday afternoons as per arranged time slot, although cases are regarded individually and patients can be admitted at any time if so required. Patients are urged to have all necessary documentation available to present upon Admission. (Please see relevant info regarding pre-authorization).
Please check in at Reception, where an Administration Staff Member will assist the patient and the family / friends. Once the initial intake has been completed, the patient will be assigned to the ward and room best suited to their needs. Private rooms are available, but an additional cost if not requested by your doctor.
Once in the ward, a Nursing Staff Member will conduct an interview with the patient, taking a Medical History as well as completing routine Medical Checks.
If there is a shortage of beds or any other unforeseen problems, we will contact you to make further arrangements
What to Bring Along for Your Stay
Patients should consult this guide to ensure they have all that’s required on the day of admission:
- All necessary documents for the Administrative Process | ID & Medical Aid Card
- R200 cash for a refundable key & blanket deposit
- Comfortable appropriate day & sleeping wear (7-10 days)
- Comfortable Shoes
- Light-weight jersey / jacket / top (Summer)
- Warm jerseys / hoodies (Winter)
- Gym / exercise clothes & gear
- All toiletries, hairdryer & 2 x towels
- Pocket Money (coffee shop etc.) Credit & Debit card facilities available
- Chronic & Home Medication (to be handed in at nurses’ station)
- Your own supply of cigarettes should you be a smoker (approximately 2 weeks)
- Reading material & handwork
- Electronic devices, earphones & chargers (subject to facility’s usage policies)
Don't have a Professional Medical Referral?
Don't worry, you can either contact us directly 010 475 0150 / 066 2558 501 or follow the simple steps below and we'll get into contact with you:
Step 1Submit self diagnosis questionnaire
Fill in our online quiz questionnaire to help us understand you better. The quiz will help identify whether you need to consider professional help
Step 2Submit call back enquiry
After the questionnaire has been submitted, send us a message with a bit of information on yourself (if you feel comfortable) and we'll get back to you.
Step3Await call back
Once your callback enquiry is sent our clinic reception will contact you back within the next 24 hours to discuss any questions and schedule your appointment