In-Patient Psychiatric Treatment
What You Need To KnowCommencing your stay at our Psychiatric Unit involves a process of two parts: Pre-admission/Pre-authorization and Admission.
The Clinic has a 24-hour Emergency Admissions intake, but being a specialist‘s clinic a referral for admission is necessary. For admission please note:
ZwavelStream Clinic accepts voluntary patients referred by their treating psychiatrist as well as from other health professional referrals such as from a general practitioner (GP) or a hospital’s emergency department (ER).
In the case of an emergency admission, please contact the clinic as soon as possible so that we can assist as far as possible. There are a psychiatrist as well as a psychologist on call 24h for emergencies.
The clinic’s case manager will assist the patient with obtaining the necessary authorization.
In the case of an after hour emergency admission, a refundable deposit will be required for the interim period until authorization has been obtained. Again the clinic’s case manager will assist the patient with this process as soon as possible within office hours.
Don't have a Professional Medical Referral?
Don't worry, you can either contact us directly 010 475 0150 / 066 2558 501 and we will assist
Admission Time & Process
To finalize your Booking, please contact our Admin Staff and provide us with the authorization number: firstname.lastname@example.org / 010 475 0150 / 066 2558 501. (Medical Aids usually send Confirmation via Email / SMS, please mail or bring us a copy of your Confirmation.)
Admissions usually occur on Sunday afternoons as per arranged time slot, although cases are regarded individually and patients can be admitted at any time if so required. Patients are urged to have all necessary documentation available to present upon Admission. (Please see relevant info regarding pre-authorization).
Please check in at Reception, where an Administration Staff Member will assist the patient and the family / friends. Once the initial intake has been completed, the patient will be assigned to the ward and room best suited to their needs. Private rooms are available, but an additional cost if not requested by your doctor.
Once in the ward, a Nursing Staff Member will conduct an interview with the patient, taking a Medical History as well as completing routine Medical Checks.
If there is a shortage of beds or any other unforeseen problems, we will contact you to make further arrangements
What to Bring Along for Your Stay
Patients should consult this guide to ensure they have all that’s required on the day of admission:
- All necessary documents for the Administrative Process | ID & Medical Aid Card
- R200 cash for a refundable key & blanket deposit
- Comfortable appropriate day & sleeping wear (7-10 days)
- Comfortable Shoes
- Light-weight jersey / jacket / top (Summer)
- Warm jerseys / hoodies (Winter)
- Gym / exercise clothes & gear
- All toiletries, hairdryer & 2 x towels
- Pocket Money (coffee shop etc.) Credit & Debit card facilities available
- Chronic & Home Medication (to be handed in at nurses’ station)
- Your own supply of cigarettes should you be a smoker (approximately 2 weeks)
- Reading material & handwork
- Electronic devices, earphones & chargers (subject to facility’s usage policies)