In-Patient Psychiatric Treatment
What You Need To Know
Commencing your stay at our Psychiatric Unit involves a process of three parts: Pre-admission, pre-authorisation and admission.
For authorisation, please note:
- To be admitted, the Clinic requires a referral letter from your treating Psychiatrist, ER Doctor or General Practitioner.
- Pre-authorisation remains the responsibility of each patient.
- The admission department will correspond with each individual and provide detailed information and guidance regarding the necessary steps for admission.
In the case of an emergency admission, please get in touch with the clinic as soon as possible so that we can assist where we can. There is a psychiatrist as well as a psychologist on-call for emergencies between 7h00 and 21h00. Should the patient be referred outside these hours, the psychiatrist will see the patient as soon as possible the next day.
In the case of an emergency admission (outside normal office hours), the Clinic will assist with obtaining an authorisation on the first following working day.
Please note that it remains the patient's responsibility to confirm their benefits available with their medical scheme.
In the case of an after-hours emergency or weekend admission, a refundable deposit will be required for the interim period until authorisation has been obtained. Again the clinic's case manager will assist the patient with this process as soon as possible within office hours.
Don't have a Professional Medical Referral?
Admission Time & Process
The Clinic’s Admin staff will contact you to finalize the date and time of your admission. After your admission has been finalized, you will need to contact your medical aid for authorization (with the information provided by the Admin Staff). Once the authorization has been received, kindly provide us with the authorization number: email@example.com / 010 475 0150.
Zwavelstream Clinic admits every day of the week, as per your arranged date and time. Please adhere to these given admission times, as a staff member has been specifically appointed to assist with your admission and assist with the admission assessment. Patients are urged to have all the necessary documentation available upon admission. (Please see relevant info regarding pre-authorization).
Please check in at the Main Reception, where an administration staff member will assist the patient and the family/friends. Once the initial intake has been completed, the patient will be assigned to a ward and room. Private rooms are available at an additional cost, if not requested by your admitting doctor.
Once in the ward, a Nursing staff member will conduct an interview with the patient, take a medical history, and complete routine medical checks.
What to Bring Along for Your Stay
Patients should consult this guide to ensure they have all that’s required on the day of admission:
- All necessary documents for the administrative process (admission documents, authorization documents, ID, medical aid card)
- 3-week supply of all chronic medication
- Comfortable, appropriate day & sleepwear (Try to pack for at least 14 days as this is our average stay).
- No clothing irons are available or are allowed to be brought with to the Clinic, due to safety risk.
- Gowns are compulsory with sleepwear.
- Comfortable shoes/sneakers / Shower Flip Flops.
- Lightweight jerseys/jackets/tops (Even in summer, due to the close location to the river, it is quite chilly in winter)
- Warm jerseys, jackets/hoodies/scarves (Autumn and winter).
- Gym/exercise clothing & gear.
- All toiletries and 3 bathing towels.
- Pocket Money (coffee shop, etc.) Credit card facilities are available.
- The Clinic has a Dispensary for in-house administered medication. All other Chronic and home Medications must be brought along. (3-week supply)
- Your own supply of cigarettes should you be a smoker (approximately 2 weeks). Designated smoking areas are available.
- Reading material, handwork & other hobby supplies (for example art/guitar).
- Electronic devices, earphones & chargers.
- Picnic blankets, especially in summer.
- Mosquito repellent, especially in summer. (Available for purchase at the clinic coffee shop)
- Notebooks and pens (Available for purchase at the clinic coffee shop