"Failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." – Winston Churchill
Tania van Huyssteen is a Clinical Psychologist specialising in mood disorders, self-dissociation disorders and behavioural disorders. After many years as a successful businesswoman and driven by her passion for helping people, Tania felt inspired to decide to pursue an education and career in Clinical Psychology.
Tania provides specialised therapy to patients that help them better understand themselves. She maintains that to have a good relationship with others, you should develop a good relationship with yourself. Tania is also a life coach and has counselled many businessmen and businesswomen, due to her background in business.
Tania's areas of special interest:
Therapy seeks to identify and help change potentially unhealthy behaviours. It functions on the idea that all behaviours are learned and that unhealthy behaviours can be changed. The focus of treatment is often on current problems and how to change them. Tania spent many years at the Weskoppies Children's Ward, helping young patients with behavioural and adjustment conditions..
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing) is a new practice applied in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. EMDR uses a patient's own rapid, rhythmic eye movements. These eye movements weaken the power of emotionally powered memories of past traumatic occurrences.
Mood & Dissociative Disorders
Depression, Anxiety Disorders like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Panic Disorder, as well as Bipolar, are a few of the conditions that fall into this area of Mood categorised disorders. Tania also specialises in Dissociative disorders which involve problems with memory, identity, emotion, perception, behaviour and sense of self. Dissociative symptoms can potentially disrupt every area of mental functioning.
- International Masterson Institute For the study and treatment of the disorders of the self: 2013 Three-year postgraduate training program.
- MSc Medical applied psychology (clinical psychology) University of Pretoria 2002.
- Ba honours (psychology) Unisa 2000.
- Ba (social sciences) Unisa 1995.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (emdr).
- 2015 trauma model.
- Ship facilitator/therapist 2003.
- Rorschach inkblot test 2003.
- Various courses through the South African psychoanalysis initiative.
- For continuing professional development.
- Professional appointments.
- Clinical psychologist Children's ward Weskoppies Hospital 2003-2008.
- Kanyisa Award for Excellence was received in 2007 for visual access and communication systems.
- Premier’s service excellence for the program.
- Presented paper at world autism congress 2006.
- Training of staff in Weskoppies Hospital.
- Training of staff in various children's homes.
University of Pretoria lecturer medical students 2003-2007
- Private practice 2004.
- Psychiatric hospitals.
- Denmar Hospital 2004 ongoing.
- Zwavelstream Clinic 2018 is ongoing.
- Specialising in psychiatric disorders.
- Personality disorders.
- Post-traumatic stress, anxiety disorders, depressive disorders etc.
- Working with children with attachment, and adjustment disorders.
- Behavioural disorders, ADHD etc.
University of Pretoria cochlear implant unit (PICU)
- Clinical Psychologist 2008 ongoing.
- Participation in conference 2018.
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (hpcsa).
- Registration: independent practice (clinical psychologist).
- Ps 0077577 since 20020112.
- International Masterson Institute.