Looking After Your Mental Health
Now that we understand what good mental health is, as well as the factors that contribute to it,
let’s look at 10 guidelines to follow that will ensure a positive mental state of being:
- Commit to regular physical activity. If going to the gym is not your thing, a brisk walk or
jog each day will also do.
- Communicate your feelings. Keeping things bottled up adds to stress and anxiety. In
sharing the way you feel, you are able to work towards a lighter state of mind.
- An eating plan that is rich in good nutrients will not only keep your body healthy, but will
also feed your mind.
- A solid support system comes in many shapes and forms – family, friends, church, and
community projects are a few ways in which you can stay connected and feel valued.
- Understand that there is no shame in asking for help. Sharing your troubles with others
means you won’t have to carry the weight on your own.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you consume. Alcohol is known to affect our moods and
often enhances them. This means depressed or anxious people could end up feeling worse
while or after drinking alcohol.
- Hobbies are not only a great way to be distracted from everyday life and its problems, but
they help to combat stress by boosting your sense of achievement and self-esteem.
- Accept yourself and your uniqueness to reduce feelings of inadequacy and depression
when comparing to others.
- Offering care and support to friends, family, or your community will do wonders for your
sense of self.
- Remember to take a pause. It doesn’t have to be a week in Hawaii, even five minutes out
of your busy day will also help.